Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer has come

The semester is over and I have begun working at a business called Visteon. They are a parts supplier, with Ford being one of their main customers. My work as an intern involves essentially doing every job that the other engineers either don't have time to do or don't want to do. I have a suspicion that since the job I was hired to do fell through, they are just giving me other engineer's jobs now. I first developed a program that acted as an engine audio simulator, to be used in a government study on how sound effects pedestrians (such as blind folk). I then got to strip out the Video electronics in a F-150 truck, and then install a radio system along with new speakers and amplifiers in a 2008 Malibu. That job was really interesting, considering nothing fit and I had to hand fabricate all the adapters to mount everything to the car. After finishing that job I started another programming job implementing a FFT/3rd Octave Analyzer for this Audio Studio program.

I'm excited about next semester, I have 5 classes (one of which is a 1 credit course), 4 EECS classes. One of them looks really hard, I have no idea what the outcome of the semester will be. Thankfully another of the classes looks really easy, as it covers everything I already know and is lab oriented. I hope to take my major design course in the winter, EECS 470. Designing a processor in Verilog.

Life is looking up for me, things are for the most part going my way and I have ordered and am reading several technical books right now. I've decided to diversify my knowledge. I didn't really realize it before, but I have a wide range of skills that gives me an edge over most other people out there. Thanks to my electronics technician education I have an insight into practical electronics and design that most people haven't touched, and in addition I've taken several classes related to the mechanical aspect of engineering, including manufacturing design and robotics. I hope to expand my knowledge even more, and intend on taking a diverse range of Electrical Engineering courses as I finish my degree.

I haven't really kept up to date on this blog like I would have liked, but I intend on changing that. I'll try my best to go back to my original once a month updates, especially since this is a very important time in my life. I'm excited, anxious, and optimistic. A few rough things have happened this past semester, but I can't say that my experience this past year was bad, in fact I wouldn't have it any other way. I've learned so much, and going to a big college like the University of Michigan, I feel like I'm finally getting the social experience I never got a chance to have at Monroe County Community College. So excited to see what happens in the future, wish me luck everyone!

No comments: