Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Getting Sid Meier's Gettysburg! to work on Windows 7

On an unrelated note, to pass time while doing my Chinese lessons I have been playing simple old PC games. Since Sid Meier's Gettysburg! is an old favorite (along with Heroes of Might and Magic III and Caeser III), I decided to install it. Unfortunately it won't install by any normal means, but there is a simple trick you can do to install it quickly.

First go to the Windows Start Menu and search the "cmd" application, and right click and run it as administrator.


After you run it as administrator, go to the directory of your CD drive (or virtual mounted drive) and run the setup, as shown below,


My CD drive was the E drive so I used that. After running this, the installation will come up as normal, and you can go about installing. Be sure to install the "Windows XP patch" found below.

http://www.firaxis.com/games/downloads.php
EDIT: The link is down but I believe this is the same XP Patch, but I haven't had a chance to test yet: https://www.fileplanet.com/archive/p-8427/Gettysburg-Windows-2000-XP-Compatibility-Update

As a side note, I'll put up pictures and other details from my stay in Shanghai, it's long overdue!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sir, are a genius!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate the help and I was able to get it installed and I installed the patch however I am getting an error message saying it is not a valid windows 32 application. can you help?

Anonymous said...

Thanks! That did it. By the way you mention three of my favorite games there. Over the last holidays I turned back to them also. But I couldn't get gettysburg running - thanks for the post and the helpful info!

Anonymous said...

Look at all of the SPAMMING JERKS!